Do I need a Residence Permit to purchase property in Greece?

EU citizens:

  Yes. Acquiring a residence permit tends to be a mere formality for most EU citizens; however, for purchasing property in areas near to national borders, such as Crete, it is a serious consideration. If you do not have a residence permit you must apply in person, to the local (Cretan) police station, for your temporary residence permit, or Blue Card. It will generally take about two weeks to be processed but your appointed solicitor may collect it for you if you have granted him/her Power of Attorney.

Non EU citizens:

  Non EU citizens must apply to the Ministry of Defence in Athens for a special permit to purchase property in sensitive areas near national borders, such as Crete. The Greek consulate or embassy in your home country can apprise you of current regulations.